Monday, November 10, 2014

Wild Mustangs

#fivedayblackandwhitechallenge Day 3.
This summer I was out in the middle of Nevada experiencing what at first seemed to be an overwhelmingly vast emptiness. The place was frustrating, with a silence was so deep it rang in my ears. But as I slowed down and got in tune with the large scale and slow pace of time, realized that it is not so much empty as it is open. I had to let go of expectations and become more present. 
While driving dirt roads for hours, exploring the landscape, we saw occasional glimpses of wildlife; Deer, pronghorn antelope, coyote, and wild mustangs. We crested a small hill and startled this group of horses. While the mares darted off through the sage brush, the stallion stopped and stared us down. Luckily I had the camera ready with a long lens and snapped a few exposures before they disappeared in a dusty mirage. 

No comments: